Friday, May 26, 2017

What Body Positivity Means to Me

    Finding body positivity, for me, was like finding a best friend hiding around the corner who had been living in the house tucked down the street my whole life that I didn't even know existed.  Except, that friend was me in disguise. She was in plain sight the whole time. I just had to wake up from my dreamy daze and look her in the eyes. And I have finally accepted her, my body, as a beautiful part of myself. Body positivity and being at peace with one's self means something different for everyone. I have only come to realize recently --in the last day-- after speaking with a friend that body positivity can have two vastly different interpretations --and probably many more-- depending on the person.

    Last night, I was puzzled by a post online that I saw on a friend's Facebook. This friend is a woman that I respect, and I admire as a mother and as woman in general. She had posted something that was in favor of altering her body to appear thinner in order to feel better about herself  --I am avoiding specific details as not to single her out, because I respect her. This troubled me, as I am a body positivity advocate, and I turned to a trusted fellow female friend with a very pointed  --and I now see, judgmental-- question: Why are people so hell bent on changing their bodies instead of loving them?  She had the most eye opening and accepting response for me.

    She sent me this video to the song "Most Girls" by Hailee Steinfeld:



Art by me, Stacy Hall, lyrics from "Most Girls"
    This song hit me like a slap in the face. I came to the realization that body positivity is not just about accepting your body for how it is right now, but it is, more importantly, about loving yourself overall. If  you love yourself right now as you are, then that is awesome, and I am so glad that you have started your body positivity journey.  If you don't, then work toward that love in your own way. In your own time. A way that isn't destructive to your body or mental health, but rather in a way that makes you feel good. If that means changing or altering your body to make yourself feel better, then change away, girl! As long as you are doing it in a healthy way, then who am I to judge? Who is anyone to judge? This may seem like a simple revelation and a very obvious one to some, but as a feminist who is still developing and as an advocate, I am learning and trying to unlearn the ideals pushed on me by society every day. 


You can buy this awesome pin here
    Before last night, I saw body positivity as a one way street. The song "Scars to Your Beautiful" by Alessia Cara was a good interpretation of my views toward it previously. But, now I see body positivity as a two lane highway. You just have to pick your lane and drive down your own path paving the way as you go. Pick your lane, or your team if you will. Love yourself as you are now, or work toward it in your own way. Whichever team you pick, I am here to offer you support and hopefully learn from your experiences. That is what is so beautiful about life--if we open our ears, eyes, minds, and hearts, then we can continually learn from one another by educating each other. Thank you, kind friend for broadening my world view. You kick ass, and your girls supporting girls attitude is so powerful and influential! 

Thanks for reading,

Stacy 

No comments:

Post a Comment