Friday, May 19, 2017

Nostalgic Ramblings of a Past Graduate


    Each year around this time, I become extremely reflective. I graduated high school 7 years ago and college 4 years ago. Where has all the time gone? How am I NOT still sitting behind a desk in a classroom in Seminary Hall listening to a lecture and discussion about Storm Front by Jim Butcher and all of Harry Dresden's wacky wizarding ways? I miss being a student as I am sure many of my past students that are graduating today will soon realize that they do as well. 



    It's a funny thing--growing older. You only become nostalgic about things in your life once they're in the past. But, I suppose as John Green theorizes in "Looking for Alaska," "imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia" in and of itself. As my past students go forth and pursue higher education and careers, I urge you all to only be nostalgic every now and again. Try not to long too much for the past, and try not to worry too much about the future. I know this is easier said than done. But try to live in the present moment, or you will miss the great things happening right now. 


    I know the future is scary, and many are terrified of things not turning out as expected. My life has definitely not gone according to plan. Don't plan too much. Life is going to smack you in the face with unexpected waves of darkness and trickles of happiness. You will need to learn to ride through the waves and immerse yourself in the trickles. This is the ONLY way I know how to cope with adulthood without letting the waves pull me under into the depths. Don't let the waves pull you under. Don't drown. 



     I wish you the best. Your generation is so awesome. You are way more politically and socially aware than my generation and even more so than the one before that. You give me hope. My only wish is that these words give you hope as you embark on an incredible and personal journey that you get to be the author of. You are writing your story. Every day.  Write it in loud bold colors if you want! Incorporate a slew of pictures. Whatever you do, make it your own. Congrats to the class of 2017.

Thanks for reading,

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment