Friday, June 9, 2017

Because They Can!

Let's talk about this video:


   To preface my critique of this video, let me first give you some background info. on the narrator. This is Mayim Bailik, and she is most widely known for playing Blossom. She also has a PhD in neuroscience and stars as Amy on the Big Bang Theory--one of old media's most problematic television shows.  Back in the early 00's, she appeared on TLC's What Not to Wear which is where I first encountered her. This show definitely contributed to my poor body image growing up as I am sure it did for many other young girls, but I digress.

    This video discusses some hot button issues for me: plus sized representation, sexuality, and female empowerment. Her opinions greatly differ from mine, and everyone is entitled to their views even if they are conservative like Mayim's. However, where my issue lies with this particular video is the way she contradicts herself. When we are talking about smashing the patriarchy through feminism and how we educate our young girls, then we should actually aim to let young girls and women make their own decisions about their bodies and their sexuality and support them in their choices. In this video, she definitely misses the mark by saying that empowering yourself through showing skin is wrong. People can choose to empower themselves ANY way that they want.

  There is nothing wrong with being plus sized.  There is also nothing wrong with being skinny.  And for the love of all things holy, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SHOWING YOUR SKIN if it is your choice to do so.  It is your body, and you can do whatever you want with it. If you choose to be modest, then that is your choice, and I applaud you for taking claim of your body. However, if you have arrived at this choice because this is what you have been taught, but you have never truly questioned why you choose this for yourself, then self reflection is needed.  Some days, I choose to show more skin, and other days I wear a cardigan because my old demons are whispering in my ears. It has taken me years to quiet these demons, and I will not let someone tell me what I can and cannot do with my body. Someone who judges others based on their personal body choices is not a role model that I want for my future students or my children.  

   We should be educating girls and boys on consent, body image, representation, and empowerment, but by no means should we be attempting to control their thoughts.  We need to leave room open for discussion around these issues, point them toward well researched resources, and let them arrive at their own conclusions. My conclusion here is that Mayim is extremely misguided when it comes to what makes a good role model for young girls and boys. For me, a role model should be inclusive, supportive, and empathetic. This video lacks these qualities and isolates those with differing opinions with the mocking segment at the beginning. As much as I respect her as a female leader in the STEM community, this video is problematic at best.  As Kimothyjoy communicates in this image, "We fight patriarchy not each other." We need to respect each other's choices if we are going to enact change.

To answer Mayim's initial question, why is everyone getting naked? BECAUSE THEY CAN, MAYIM.  Because they can!

What are your thoughts on this video? Please share in the comments.


Thanks for reading,

Stacy

3 comments:

  1. (Pss... this is Sharon btw. Ignore the very outdated religion-obsessed-sounding screenname)

    Keeping it light to start, I actually really enjoyed What Not to Wear. For me it helped my sense of fashion a lot, gave me tips on finding clothing that I would not only really like, but would actually look good on me (and my mom helped me find those cute outfits on a budget). It was occasionally problematic, but typically those women who felt very empowered already in their clothing (even if those choices were subjectively poor in the viewer's eyes) went back to their old style or integrated their old style with the new. Most of the women on there were those who did not feel empowered, who had basically given up on themselves in order to take on a career or family. Much of their advice pertained to the workplace, which is more understandable than telling a woman to wear a pantsuit to the beach haha.
    But anywho... to the video.
    I mostly agree with her, actually. I didn't see her go as far as you had written, and she explained her view well. The artist in me is a little conflicted on nudity and sexuality and their place in empowering women, because I very much love a good artistic nude and LOVE renaissance era art. I think Mayim makes a good point that these images, particularly in the case of plus size women, is indeed empowering young girls and shaking the model image we're used to, but she's right... as it is right now, models are sexually objectified. And now? Now we're sexually objectifying plus-size women on a large scale. There's a tough balance here and we've just not found it yet. Sex, nudity, body positivity ARE empowering, but where does it begin to cross the line where we're only FEEDING INTO the "patriarchy"? Is it only acceptable to show plus sized bodies when they've been painted with makeup, hair stiffed with spray, and stuffed into lacy lingerie in a seductive pose? Sure, it is aesthetically pleasing, but what kind of message is that really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you take a look at the body positivity community on any outlet, you will find that the women who are taking pictures of themselves are not necessarily "painted" as you say here. Who cares if people want to be naked, it's their choice. As far as the patriarchy goes, by saying that these women empowering themselves is "feeding into the patriarchy" is completely beside the point. The whole point is that women should have a choice to BE and EXIST and PROJECT whatever kind of image they want without being objectified by a man.

      Delete
  2. One way we can break down the patriarchy is by expressing ourselves in new ways and taking old ways like nudity which has always been sexualized and redfine what it means to be a nude woman by taking our bodies back and saying we are who we are and it doesn't have to be sexual--but it can be if the person chooses it to be. That's what feminism is, equality. Treating others equally and showing support of their choices. Whatever the personal choice on nudity, body image, etc. as feminists, we must SUPPORT one another!

    ReplyDelete